A Sweet and Sour Tomato Dip which comes together easily, perfect to use as a dip for finger foods which need to be paired with an acidic and earthy sauce.
Perfect pairing: the Cauliflower Balls with Feta Cheese and Curry.
- 100 gr canned plum peeled tomatoes (store bought)
- 100 gr / ml water
- 50 gr Dark Muscovado sugar (or any sugar available)
- 1 Tbs. vinegar (best option is apple cider vinegar, but any white or red vinegar will work too)
- 1 tsp mustard, dissolved in 2-3 Tbs. hot water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2-3 drops Worcestershire sauce (optional)
❶ Put the tomatoes, water, sugar, vinegar and mustard in a small saucepan.
❷ Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally until most of the water has evaporated and the sauce has thickened. Keep stirring more towards the end of cooking, mashing any big chunks of tomato. Excess splattering is an indicator that most of the water has evaporated and the sauce is ready. Keep stirring to avoid burning on the bottom.
❸ Allow to cool before adding the Worcestershire sauce (if using); stir well.
Storage: in the refrigerator for one week, in an airtight container. Let it come to room temperature before serving.